Teaching a dog to ask you to go out can be easy or difficult, depending on the method you choose. Before you get the dog home, you must prepare everything in order for the process to develop the right way.
- Buy a small basket (one for each puppy) with a small door that closes. That is where you will keep it.
- Buy a small package of biscuits, that can be broken in small pieces, and put them in a small basket in a plastic bag.
- You must have plenty of urine cleaning solution. In pet shops you can also find substances which contain active enzyme (bacteria)
- Hang a small bell on the entrance door’s knob.
- Make sure you lave a long leash so you can hold the puppy.
- Get a walkman so you won't get bored waiting for your dog to do its stuff. Also get warm clothes, gloves and an umbrella if the case.
- Decide on a verbal command for the dog, like “go use the pot”, and the praise after.
Next method works on almost all the puppies (five to seven weeks old) and they will learn how to go out in three or four days. However, you will need a lot of persistence if you want the method to be successful. If you follow the steps a few hours a day, and then skip a day or two, you will mess up the whole training. The age and the race may alter the learning time length. Do not try to use the paper under the dog method because that will disorientate the dog completely when you will take it outside to eliminate. You will have to start training the dog to take his needs outside, the moment the dog arrives at your house.
If you have, more than one exit doors choose only one that the dog will use to get out, a way you will know when the dog shows sings that it wants to exit. Choosing a door that is far from the place where the family spends most of the time will not do the job. You must hear the noise that the dog makes by touching the door, or the noise of the bell attached to the knob. Place the basket somewhere warm, where the dog cannot see you when it is sleep time. You can also put a towel or a small pillow inside the basket. Normally dogs dot get the sleeping place dirty, but accidents can happen a rubber toy could be the best choice for inside the basket.
After you bring the dog home put on his collar and the leash and takes it to the place where it must do the “needs”. Do not ever carry the dog to the spot, when the dog reaches the place, use the command and nothing else, no other words. Then you must wait until the elimination process happens. That may take a while. As soon as you see it happening, bend and praise the dog and reward it with a biscuit. Then wait until it repeats the process and praise the dog again. Give the dog one reward for one action and only praise.